Everything You Need to Know About the Employment Pass in Malaysia

Malaysia is becoming a hotbed for international careers, offering many opportunities for professional growth. If you’re looking to boost your career in this vibrant country, it’s important to understand the process of applying for an Employment Pass (EP). This guide will walk you through the key aspects of the employment pass, ensuring you’re well-prepared to take the next steps towards a successful application.

Understanding the Employment Pass: How Does It Help Me Work in Malaysia?

The Employment Pass (EP) is a critical permit that allows expatriates to work legally in Malaysian organizations. The permit is valid for up to 60 months and is subject to the terms of your employment contract and decisions made by the Expatriate Committee (EC). The EP must be approved by the EC or relevant authorities before it is granted by the Immigration Department of Malaysia.

Exploring Company Eligibility: Who Can Apply?

Before you begin the EP application process, it’s important to check if the company you want to join is eligible for an Expatriate Employment Pass. This first step is essential for a smooth application process.

Navigating the Application Process: Where to Apply and How to Apply?

To start your EP application, you’ll need to log in to the ESD website using your company’s ESD account information. Once you’re logged in, you can submit your application and supporting documents. This simple process ensures your application gets the attention it deserves.

Timeframe and Scope of the Pass: How Long Can I Stay?

The Employment Pass allows you to be a part of Malaysia’s growing economy for up to 60 months. The exact duration will depend on the details of your employment contract and decisions made by the Expatriate Committee (EC).

What’s My Right with an Employment Pass?

It’s important to understand your work rights under the Employment Pass. If you’re an Employment Pass holder and your salary is above RM5,000, your family can join you in Malaysia. You can apply for a Dependant Pass, Long-Term Social Visit Pass, or a Social Visit (Temporary Employment) pass.

Keep in mind that these rights only apply to the company named on the pass. If you’re thinking about changing jobs, you’ll need to submit a new application to ensure a smooth transition.

Additionally, your entitlements may be subject to the constraints and regulations of your employment contract, labor laws, and Malaysian government guidelines. If you have any questions or need further clarification, it is advisable to consult your employer or relevant authorities.

#Guidance for Employers:

Employers play an important role in the Employment Pass application process by registering an ESD account for the employee to submit their application. You may refer to Expatriate Services Division (ESD) official website for registration & application guide. If you need assistance with ESD account setup and/or application, seeking expert guidance is recommended.

Image source: Expatriate Services Division (ESD) official website

The Employment Pass application process can be complex and time-consuming. By working with an experienced professional, you can increase your chances of success and avoid any potential delays or complications, and make the application process smoother and increase your chances of success.

To start this exciting journey with confidence, take the next step by filling out our FREE consultation form today. Let us guide you towards a successful Employment Pass application


Our immigration lawyers will provide quotation and free initial consultation via WhatsApp or e-mail provided in less than 2 working hours.
Answer this question if you intend to apply for permanent residency in Malaysia only. Select ‘Not Applicable’ if you need other services.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *